Mission (im)possible!

Why is mail so complicated?

Today's mission is to finish up the contents of my Knitters Coffee Swap care package and see if I can't get it in the mail by the end of the week. At a minimum, I'm reserving at least one lunch hour and possibly a late morning to deal with the folks as the USPS to make sure that it gets to Scotland.

I spent a good 2 hours reading up on VAT, customs, declaration forms, postal rates (all of which change today!) and various and sundry to see if I could make heads or tails of what's really supposed to happen. I was shocked to find that Global Priority may actually be CHEAPER than standard parcel post - but then again, it's unlikely that I was reading stuff right.

I'll just go to the counter, throw myself on the mercy of the Men in Blue and see how it goes. I'm thrilled with what I've managed to find and hopefully my partner will be as well!

Separately, the Monkey Socks are moving along nicely and I'm ready to turn the heel on the first sock. The yarn is SO SPRINGY and has been wonderful to use. I'm not sure that the sizing is "right on", but so what. Took lots of pix of everything - I just need to sit down (stop knitting, that is) and get stuff up.

Maybe I'll be able to get back to my Grasshopper Socks by the end of next week ...

1 comment:

limonetricot said...

Heehee, have been doing exactly the same thing here! Finished putting your package together today, have weighed everything individually and together, written up my customs declaration, but am still flabergasted by how much info there is on how to post internationally and how little sense it all makes to me! Am hoping the lovely ladies at my local post office will lift the fog that is international posting etiquette!

Hoping you love your package, I've enjoyed putting it together!