Bathtub Rings

In yesterday's post, I threatened to wash a fleece. Now, I should admit that I'm one of those people that likes (needs) procrastination. I like to hem, haw, deliberate, do thought experiments and generally delay actually *doing* something until I feel like I can be successful. It's definitely overkill in terms of angst and nervousness, but the net result is that I do eventually conquer my fears and just "try".

After putting up that post yesterday, I was absolutely GRIPPED by the idea of washing the fleece. I thought about it ALL DAY. Finally, after I'd finished up my work for the day, I picked up a few necessities at the store (drying rack, laundry bags) and just, well, tucked in.

I turned up the water heater (involved disassembling the darned thing), shook/picked over the fleece and just, well, washed it. Two soapy dunks, two rinsy dunks, some dangerous whirling of the bagged fleece in the driveway and it was over. Pretty anti-climactic, actually.

As of last night, it was taking up all three tiers of the drying rack in the living room. It's not felted. It's pretty clean (compared to the state it was in yesterday). I think I'll do this again.

(will add pix when I get them off the camera)

Tomorrow is Spinners' Day at the Farm up in the North Bay. Looking forward to sun, wool and pot-luck!

3 comments:

Jessica said...

Your fleece came out lovely! I think it's actually a little harder to mess up a really good fleece than we first-timers think. Any ideas for what you'll make with the shetland? It was lovely to meet you at the farm yesterday!

Anonymous said...

I knew you had it in you.....

And the fleece looked lovely....


And it was WONDERFUL to see you....


Ba...

AlisonH said...

Came here from Stephanie's. You're in Kings Mountain? The Sue in my book is from Kings Mountain, and I go to the Art Fair there every Labor Day weekend. Cool.

Have fun with the spinning! I once found a bird's nest on my roof made of twigs, leaves, and pink wool I'd set outside to dry after dyeing.